Monday, June 15, 2009

Flyers Defenseman Derian Hatcher is Retiring




The Philadelphia Flyers announced that Derian Hatcher has been named as the new player development coach, according to Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren. The former Flyers defenseman and captain also announced that he is retiring from the National Hockey League after 17 seasons.
"We are pleased to add Derian to our coaching staff in this very important capacity," said Holmgren in making the announcement. "Derian will spend valuable time with the young players throughout our organization, working on their on-ice game as well as helping these young players deal with the issues playing and/or preparing to play professional hockey."
"I am very excited. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when Paul offered me this position. It sounded like the perfect way to stay in the game and see if I like it," said Hatcher. "I will be watching the younger players and making sure everything runs smoothly for them. I will be involved with running the rookie camp this summer, where I will get to work closely with some of our younger players."
Hatcher, 37, takes over the position from another former Flyers defenseman and captain, Eric Desjardins, who stepped down to pursue other business interests. Desjardins was named player development coach and served in that capacity since July 15, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment